[PLUG] Wake up - Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04 LTS released

Vishal Rao vishalrao at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 01:38:00 IST 2008

No interest or posts to the PLUG list about Hardy?

Just wanted to mention I was on Gutsy 32-bit on my old P4 (been
running Ubuntu since Feisty) and
recently installed 64-bit Hardy since Beta on my new Q6600 based desktop.

The 7.10 desktop LiveCD had issues booting and progressing far but
Hardy worked very well.

Sound, Networking, nVidia graphics, multimedia, DVD writer all working
- tried KVM/virt-manager and also
installed VirtualBox - those work well too - VirtualBox doesn't have
64-bit guests - KVM is fast. Currently
downloading VMWare Server 2 Beta 2. Detected and printouts on my HP
OfficeJet 5610 printer were fine.

Hardy final comes with FireFox 3 Beta 5 which is stable enough on the
few sites I visit.

Tried WINE for the first time - got 7-Zip and FireFox to work but MS
Virtual PC did not :-)

Don't have stuff like digicam, webcam etc to try - haven't yet tried
connecting my 3-yr old Moto RAZR.

The Ubuntu forums seem to indicate there are a good number of people
facing problems with Hardy and
will stick to previous versions or switch distros or even OSes. Stuff
like PulseAudio being new and a bit
unstable which the developers know but still included for this LTS release...

But overall looks like a good release - most likely will upgrade some
office developer PCs from Feisty to Hardy soon...

It's funny - installing WinXP took about 45 min while Hardy
installation took under 15 min (not counting the post-installation
updates and configuration) - this when XP is just the OS and Hardy
includes most popular apps like OpenOffice, GIMP etc
all on a single CD :-)