[PLUG] CDMA1.x/EVDO from BSNL

Chetan Kumar chetanku at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 12:31:29 IST 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 12:18 PM, Mihir <mihirnimbalkar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah Chetan. I too saw that ad in today's TOI.
>
> Exciting thing is they are offering Mbps of speed with unlimited bandwidth
> at Rs. 550/- per month. If it is true, they will totally outsmart other
> ISPs.

It has been in the works for some time. IIRC, Kerela/Karnataka/TN got
the first taste in Sep 2007 when trials started and there was partial
deployment.
In real life, the performace will not be uniformly high (or even
closer to the design speed of 2MBPS for EVDO). Various levels,
depending on the distance from the tower, obstructions etc. will be
seen. It will be better than a few other providers in any case. There
is no roaming facility so far. A good start though.
One may see Reliance/Tata-Indicom starting to offer similar products
some time as this is CDMA based.
Cheers