[PLUG] CDMA1.x/EVDO from BSNL

Amitabh Jain ajain101 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 13:52:23 IST 2008

Hi Guys,

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 12:31 PM, Chetan Kumar <chetanku at gmail.com> wrote:

> One may see Reliance/Tata-Indicom starting to offer similar products
> some time as this is CDMA based.

Actually, they already do. Reliance was the only one for a long time. I have
a Reliance device for more than 1.5 years now. Indicom has been offering
CDMA based device for 6 months now. I have tried both. In my opinion,
Reliance has very bad speeds (maybe because there a lot of people using it).
Indicom has decent speed and is quite reliable. They (Indicom) also offer a
prepaid version where they charge 1 Re per MB of data transfer. Indicom also
provides Linux drivers with the install CD.

Having tried three of them, my ranking is:
1. Indicom (most reliable but expensive)
2. BSNL (best speeds, but down 20-25% of the time where I live)
3. Reliance (disconnects often, slowest speeds)

Few days back I saw an ad in the newspaper where Idea has started offering
this device too.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Amitabh