[PLUG] kde4 experience- not so good

Arun Khan knura at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 30 13:26:19 IST 2008

On Saturday 30 Aug 2008, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Arun Khan wrote:
> > Sure, we can write bug reports on these but should not they have
> > been caught during unit/integration testing?  These are basic HMI
> > issues.
>
> Unit/integration testing? How many projects do you think has any of
> those?

The two specific items I listed should have been apparent to the
developer of the KDE4 Time/Date applet for the panel.

> Do check how many major projects have anything resembling that
> and you will be in for a surprise. It is to a large extend based on
> testing from end users that these projects get to the point where
> they are.

Agree that such projects do not have the resources to do extensive
testing of all it's nuances but I would expect the developer to test
the obvious ones.

Developers just writing the code and releasing it  - for unstable/alpha/
may be acceptable for alpha/beta but not in released versions.

> Maybe that should be different but it isn't the reality at
> the moment.  Every major DE rewrite has been a disaster of sorts.
> GNOME 2.0/KDE 2.0 was not really any different.

But expectations have changed at least for me.

> I would agree that
> messaging might have been a bit more clear from the upstream project
> for this release but that doesn't change what we are left with at
> this point.

IMO, there was hype when KDE 4.0 was released - leading to expectations.
I personally bought into the hype as I have been a KDE user for more
than a decade.  I am still using KDE 3.5 apps but now under a GNOME
environment.

--
Arun Khan