[PLUG] [OT] Content in UTF-8 encoding : how often do you come across it ?

Devendra Laulkar devendralaulkar at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 12 16:06:15 IST 2008

Hi,
> This is somewhat [OT] but I wanted to ask - how often do you
> come
> across web content that is in UTF-8 and is available under
> an
> appropriate license that allows sharing and distribution ?
>
> If not enough local language content is available (in the
> region) in
> UTF-8, do you have any thoughts on why that would be so ?
> Especially
> given the prolific amount of published literature that one
> sees.

Does your question imply that why don't we have something like project gutenberg for local languages ? Anyways, I always wondered about this question. There has been some effort by IIT's and other institutions, but it seemed to be scanned images of text, instead of the actual literature in UTF-8.

-Devendra.