[PLUG] Installation with Quad core Processor.

Pranav Peshwe pranavpeshwe at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 00:20:15 IST 2008

On Thu, Dec 25, 2008 at 10:44 PM, Nikhil Kala <nikhilrkale at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello All,

<snip>

> After this if I try to work with Eclipse it gets slow, like a PC having
> 512MB RAM.

Try the `top` command on a terminal. It should give you useful information
as to which process is taking up how much of CPU time and memory. It will
also show you your CPU load averages along with memory and swap usage. You
can sort the information on various fields. Press 'h' to have a look at
various options available. You can post the output of `top -b -n1` on the
list if you want people to have a look at it.
Also, try booting in after disabling ACPI using 'acpi=off' as a kernel
option. Defective ACPI (due lack of proper drivers) can cause the kernel
ACPI thread to take up almost 100% CPU making the machine extremely slow.

> Secondly the if I am using 8 GB of Physical RAM then it should show 8GB but
> it shows only 3 GB.

As people have already suggested, you should think of using a 64 bit
distribution. If that is absolutely not possible, then you can still make
use of all 8GB of RAM by enabling 'HIGHMEM' support in the kernel.

My 2 cents...
HTH.

Best regards,
Pranav