[PLUG] FOSS for Maths meet at BP

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Feb 22 17:49:41 IST 2008

bp wrote:
> Hello,
>>> If anyone using octave they are welcome.
>>> Our concern is education and not commercial use.
>>> FOSS=Free and/or Open Source Software that is how we see towards it.
>> Redefining commonly understood terms to fit specific agendas doesn't
>> seem like a good start for education.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FOSS
> I would like to invite you to give 10 minutes talk on what is good start for
> education. We have no specific agendas nor this meeting is formal.

Regardless of the nature of the meetings, a basic understanding of
fundamental concepts is a good thing and that doesn't require 10 mins of
hand holding.

> If anyone can talk on octave you are welcome.
> Here is one site from where I understood FOSS=Free and/or Open Source
> software.
> http://nrcfoss.org.in

Free and open source software in that context has a very specific
meaning.  It doesn't mean free as in gratis. Scilab is semi proprietary
software available for gratis and is not FOSS. Here is another reference.

You certainly are free to hold a meeting and educate people on Scilab
but calling it FOSS is misleading.