[PLUG] FOSS for Maths meet at BP

Aditya Godbole aag.lists at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 19:26:02 IST 2008

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 4:41 PM, Kenneth Gonsalves
<lawgon at thenilgiris.com> wrote:

>  On 22-Feb-08, at 4:20 PM, ಓಂ wrote:
>
>  > They are looking at it from different perspective.  And they have
>  > every right to do that.  You branding them as non-FOSS does not change
>  > who and how they are!
>
>  *I* have not branded them - even the OSI doesn't accept their license
>  as a an OSS license. And i our labs we had some enthusiastic students
>  who were modifying scilab - and about to release the modifications
>  when they found it couldnt be done ...

I think only commercial distribution of modified works based on scilab
is prohibited (Section 4 of the Scilab license). So unless the
students were planning to distribute their contributions for profit,
its another matter. Otherwise, they have just misunderstood the
license.

Also, BP is a not-for-profit organisation. For them Scilab is as good
as open source software since they never intend to make commercial use
of it.

-aditya