[OT]Mail filtering (Re: [PLUG] FOSS for Maths meet at BP)

"शंतनु महाजन (Shantanoo Mahajan)" shantanoo at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 21:47:18 IST 2008

Thanks Mehul, for fixing the subject. Please find the reply inline.

On 22-Feb-08, at 8:16 PM, Mehul Ved wrote:

> On 2/22/08, Vivek Khurana <hiddenharmony at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 10:59 AM, "आदित्य wrote:
>>> Can we set up a filter on this List?
>>> So that all mails from Guru are re-directed to /dev/null ?
>>
>> +1
>
> Why don't two of you use inbuilt filters in your mail client/webmail.
> IMO, that's better for each one to do it on their own.

Hi Mehul,
I strongly agree with you; when only one person has issue, that person
should
set up mail filters.

But, I would like to draw your attention to following:

- Total number of people on plug list: 1000 (just giving an example. I
suppose it more than that)
- Size of e-mail sent = 5 KB (4.8 KB to be precise)
- Effect data transferred = 5 KB * 1000 = 5000 KB = ~5 MB
- Cost per MB = 1 Re. (GPRS = 2 paise/KB)

Who is bearing this cost?

I don't mind receiving huge number of unwanted e-mail if someone is
providing me free bandwidth.
Also, for filtering one e-mail, 'n' CPU cycles are required. (Think
about utility computing. You pay for
CPU cycles you use).
For 1000 filters, 1000*n CPU cycles are required.

We can think similarly on following points:
- Electricity
- (Hu)man hours
- Cost for storing archive
- ....

I am just trying to figure out few reasons. Feel free to share your
perspective with all.

HTH.
regards,
shantanoo

PS: Nothing personal. If you feel offended, please forgive me.