[PLUG] Linux Phones - more questions

Vivek Khurana hiddenharmony at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 02:02:39 IST 2008

On Jan 6, 2008 5:18 PM, Mayuresh <mayuresh at acm.org> wrote:

> 1. When the phone is a part of a LAN (using whichever technology - wifi,
> bluetooth, usb LAN), is it possible to operate (receive and make calls, SMS
> etc.) entirely from a(ny) computer terminal on the network?
 Nope. When connected over the LAN a phone behaves like a handheld and
not like a mobile phone. In short a phone with antenna turned off.
 If you still want to give this a shot, try to ssh into the phone and
send AT commands from compuer terminal. Also, depending on the phone
you might be able to send sms. We have currently built bindings for
GSM daemon of openmoko. These bindings let you send sms through a
python script as well as dial a call (obviously you cant talk without
picking up the handset)
 More at http://projects.openmoko.org/projects/python-openmoko/

> 2. Is it possible to connect to a streaming media server available on the LAN
> to view/listen to media content through the phone? Has anyone tried such
> things?

 Yes, if you have the client to receive the streaming media, then you
can. Several phones come with internet radio receiver. Also, there are
commercial products to do the same. Mundu radio is a one award winning
product from India.
 For openembedded based distros (like openmoko) there is gstreamer.

regards
VK