[PLUG] Postgresql problem.

Vivek Khurana hiddenharmony at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 12:31:08 IST 2008

On Jan 11, 2008 6:49 AM, pankaj patil <ipankajpatil at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to start service for postgresql on fedora 8. But isn't
> starting and giving following msg.
>
> postgresql failed. The error was:
> /var/lib/pgsql/data is missing. Use "service postgresql initdb" to
> initialize the cluster first.
> [FAILED]
>
> Fedora 8 installation was smooth. what is the problem?

Well looks like another goof up by packing guy. As per error reported
you need to initialize PG by running "service postgresql initdb' once
before the database is usable. Ideally this shoul dhad been run by the
installer. I would recommend that you edit then postresql initi script
and comment the lines for initdb *after you are done with
initialization*. If you run this command again by mistake, it can
potentially wipe out all the databases.

regards
VK