[PLUG] Re: [KDE-India] Kde 4 released

Roshan d_rosh2001 at yahoo.co.in
Fri Jan 11 19:18:29 IST 2008

On Friday 11 January 2008 17:59, Sharique uddin Ahmed Farooqui wrote:

>The great news is that kde 4 is released.

>http://kde.org/announcements/4.0/index-hi.php

The Hindi translation looks great. If there are translators working on
translation are on the lists, this post reaches, I have a suggestion.

By no means, I'm trying to act as a fanboy or enforcing something.
However, I *strongly* recommend the use of the word *"swatantra"*
instead of the word "muft". (I'm not sure, if there have been flames on
any of the l10n lists -- there was one in GLUG-BOM sometime ago).

The word "Free" in english is ambiguous (as even suggested by RMS), and
that need not be continued in other languages. The fact that Sanskrit
is fundamental to hindi, marathi is one reason why the word "swatantra"
suits better. "Swatantra" itself is composed of two words "swa"
+ "tantra" - where /swa/ indicates self and /tantra/ is ideology.
Roughly speaking, "our technology" (and your technology) (in KDE's
case).

I would also recommend, stating that KDE is free of cost could be
indicated by the word /'muft'/. This could be added to translation,
wherever applicable.

By no means, it is just "philosophy", "philosophy" , "philosophy". No!
Just that the *same* idea is conveyed, regardless of the language.

Kudos! Great work! Translators. :)

(I hope, this thread doesn't start burning into flames. If it does, I'll
probably just forget about it.)