[PLUG] Meeting of Fedora activism

shirish shirishag75 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 12:28:52 IST 2008

Hi all,
 Yesterday was a cool day. As a non-programmer didn't go for the
python session but instead went for the fedora promotion thing. As a
debian/ubuntu user with the whole idea that apt-get/aptitude is the
best thing since sliced bread.

It was an interesting experience. Rahul Sundaram of Redhat gave an
interesting talk about the various activities where fedora is working.
He shared about how fedora is good, they have been doing spins for
quite sometime now so he shared the idea behind the spins, he shared a
bit about the free and open source business models (although methinks
he could have gone a bit more depth in that)

There was another gentleman who shared his font-packaging experience
and issues one could have with the same. He actually went to the
depths with hinting and glyph-set, licensing, kerning and
anti-liasing, some of the things I have read and heard about so
understand the processes a bit.

One of the more interesting anecdotes was when Rahul spoke of how
Linus met his future-to-be-wife. This is an anecdote which I didn't
know of.

Apparently, Linus while in his college days made a mail server. This
is a known fact (also read in one of the RFC's infact) that one you
have a mail server happening you do a network test , saying something
like
" Please reply if you receive this mail" . Linus's to-be-wife at that
time shot back asking for a date. And the rest as they say is history.

We also had some time to talk afterwards where he shared Fedora's
perspectives to something like what Debian/Ubuntu is doing and its an
interesting perspective. More on that later in part 2 ;)
--
 Regards,
 Shirish Agarwal

065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3 8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17