[PLUG] [Ilugc] [xpost] xinerama dual display with Intel graphics

Arun Khan knura at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 18 13:22:58 IST 2008

In my first post, I was trying a xinerama setup using a laptop with it's
onboard Intel graphics chip; display 0 the DFP of the laptop and display
1 monitor connected to the VGA port.

We got the setup to work halfway, the
display would come up on the main monitor stating low memory
issue.  We changed the res. to 800x600 but still it would not work.
The system bios was allocating a fixed 8M memory - not
dynamic/changeable.

We then decided to use a dual port video card with it's own memory.
Installed a NVidia dual port card GEForce 8600 GT (512 MB RAM) on a
desktop.  Installed the NVidia binary drivers, they also
provide a config utility nvidia-settings.  Using the util, we were able
to get a TwinView setup.  Required a couple of hand edit tweaking in
the xorg.conf

I also got this as a reference from one of the ILUG-Mumbai member.
> http://my.opera.com/sjosul/blog/ubuntu-8-04-dual-monitor-setup

Here is the snippet that allows "stretching" the entire desktop over the
two monitors.

<snippet from xorg.conf>
Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Videocard0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "GeForce 8600 GT"
    Option         "NoTwinViewXineramaInfo"  # this option stretches the
                                             # desktop over 2 screens
EndSection
</snippet from xorg.conf>

-- Arun Khan