[PLUG] #include files.... in programming languages

Aditya Godbole aag.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 19:38:15 IST 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 6:29 PM, ഓം <guru.is.on.vi at gmail.com> wrote:

> If one was to evolve *c* programming to the next level...
>
> instead of
> #include "idiots."
>
> I would write
> #include "stdio.i"
>
> Or even better
> <<stdio.i

'#' was chosen as the symbol for the preprocessor. There is no reason
to change it. In fact there is very good reason not to change it. Its
called backward compatibility.

> Why can't these .h files be called .i files, they are include files
> and what better suffix for include files that .i?

They are officially called header files. Hence the .h.

> Are we still following what some "stdio.h" wrote 15 or more years ago
> without bothering to why not change for better?

No. We are doing it for very good reason.

> Why can't compilers be built to have these files included at any place
> in the program other than at the start?

Did you try including a header file somewhere in the middle? I guess not.

Please read (and understand) 'The C programming Language' by Brian
Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie before making uninformed comments on the
C language.

-aditya