[PLUG] web browser based project management software

Vivek Khurana hiddenharmony at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 10:12:27 IST 2008

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 12:00 AM, Amit Karpe <amitkarpe at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,
>
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 9:11 PM, Arun Khan <knura at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I am looking for a web browser based project management software that
>> has PERT/CPM charting feature (like in M$ Project).
>>
>> Apps. like ProjPier, PHPProjekt have Gantt charts.
>>
>> Please let me know if you know of any such apps open source or
>> commercial.  App able to import/export in M$ Project file format also
>> OK.
>
> I had tested many of PMS and CRM .
>
> For desktop use - openproj from openproj.org

I use it on day to day basis and also have the web based account. This
one wins by leaps and bounds, if you want a ISO compliant project
management.
> Work Bench
>
> And for Web Based
> Project Open - > www.project-open.org  [ Best - Recommended one ]

 Sucks the most. Completely unusable UI and confusing navigation.

> But I think you must look for these things
> CRM and PMS --->            ( all are tested )
> Best one is www.sugarcrm.com

 Are you joking or did you try the commercial version ? Try deleting
the cache directory and enjoy the show (i hope they have fixed this
problem by now). Also very difficult to customize. Documentation for
writing module is not clear but they offer a course for few thousand
dollars on module writing.
> Small and simple -> www.vtiger.com

 Agreed. Comes close to a usable CRM but again, difficult to write
modules and an unnecessary flashy UI.
> ERP+CRM  --> www.tinyerp.com

 Good for small installations.

> [ Not tested, but had installed some time back .
> Moderate level knowledge for installation .]

> www.opencrx.org
 good one but runs on java technologies so requires a powerful machine.
> www.concursive.com

> For web based hosting solution
> [ Have not used .]
> www.basecamphq.com
> www.37signals.com
> www.openproj.org/pod

 All three are good products and have advertised the capabilities
properly. But basecamp is limited to basic activities only.

regards
Vivek