[PLUG] Help on Postgresql on suse 10.2

Rajiv Gore rajiv at wsieng.com
Tue Mar 4 19:58:41 IST 2008

On Monday 03 March 2008 07:35, Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
> On 29-Feb-08, at 7:43 PM, Rajiv Gore wrote:
> > Where can I find password for PostgrSQL?
>
> you do not need a password for postgres. As root do:
>
> /etc/init.d/postgresql stop
> this will stop postgres if it is running or it will say it is not
> running. Then do
> /etc/init.d/postgresql start
> this will start postgres
> then do
> su postgres
> createdb somedb
> psql -d somedb
>
> post the result of all this
Here are the results
linux:/home/rajiv # /etc/init.d/postgresql stop
Shutting down PostgreSQLpg_ctl: could not send stop signal (PID: 3450): No
such process
                                                                     failed
linux:/home/rajiv # /etc/init.d/postgresql start
Starting PostgreSQLcould not start postmaster
                                                                     failed
linux:/home/rajiv # postmaster -D /var/lib/pgsql/data/
"root" execution of the PostgreSQL server is not permitted.
The server must be started under an unprivileged user ID to prevent
possible system security compromise.  See the documentation for
more information on how to properly start the server.
linux:/home/rajiv # exit
exit
rajiv at linux:~> su - postgres
Password:
su: incorrect password
rajiv at linux:~> su
Password:
linux:/home/rajiv # su - postgres
postgres at linux:~> postmaster -D /var/lib/pgsql/data/
postgres at linux:~> /etc/init.d/postgresql start
Starting PostgreSQLPassword:

--
Rajiv Gore
Sai Links (India) Pvt. ltd