[PLUG] Ideal Swap partition size

Devendra Laulkar devendra at laulkar.com
Thu Mar 20 13:42:25 IST 2008

Hi,

>> I would like to know the ideal swap partition size for new
>> computers which
>> typically come with > 1 Gigs of RAM.
>
> ideal is no swap - swap slows things down, and with gigs of RAM you
> dont need swap. But keep a 500 MB swap space handy for those rare
> occasions when you may need swap - and keep swap turned off.

Problem with no swap is that, when you do run out of RAM on a rainy day,
your computer just locks up for some time and an application gets killed
of to make space. Having swap space makes the computer slow down, but it
gives some time to investigate.

The problem with having more than a 1 GB of swap space is from new users
perspective. New users think that this is a "waste" of space, as you
cannot store any data on the swap partition.

-Devendra Laulkar.