[PLUG] Ideal Swap partition size

sudhanwa Jogalekar sudhanwa.com at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 15:44:42 IST 2008

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 12:10 PM, Devendra Laulkar <devendra at laulkar.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I am starting a new thread instead of replying to the original post...
>
>  I would like to know the ideal swap partition size for new computers which
>  typically come with > 1 Gigs of RAM.

As rightly mentioned in other mail/s, usage of swap depends on the
applications functionality and not just the size of RAM.

>  Personally, I never recommend a swap partition of more that 500-600 MB,
>  because typically I have seen that swap partition is not utilized to that
>  extent for typical home + development use. I feel that swap partition = 2
>  * physical memory formula seems to be long outdated with current RAM
>  sizes.

In the current scenario, where disk drives are not less than 80 GB,
keeping some 2 GB for swap really does not matter. If swap is not
being used, fine, if it being used, that should also be fine.

-Sudhanwa

www.sudhanwa.com