[PLUG] Ideal Swap partition size

श्रीधर नारायण दैठणकर ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net
Sun Mar 23 19:21:04 IST 2008

On Sunday 23 Mar 2008 18:06:34 Devendra Laulkar wrote:
> Because to a person who is just "trying out" linux by allocating 5-6GB
> of hard disk space, 2GB does matter a lot :)
> The person is already taking some effort and trying out a GNU/Linux
> distro. He/She is already making space of 6-7 GB just to try out what
> this hoopla about Free and Open Source software is all about.
> This 6-7GB of partition is not accessible from her favorite operating
> system(well, not by default).

This is OT but relevant.

I think a new user should try linux is virtualbox, before messing up with a
separate partition. That option is lot simpler now, compared to earlier.

You think that is too difficult, try installing opensolaris, especially an
older build. I bet Rs 1/- that you cant really guess how much RAM it requires
in first shot.. Give more, it hungs, give less, it crashes.

Believe me, linux is friendlier..

 Shridhar