[PLUG] Postfix-Kmail problem

Arun Khan knura at yahoo.com
Sun May 18 17:41:17 IST 2008

On Sunday 18 May 2008, Rajiv Gore wrote:
> I am using Kmail on Suse 10.2. The mails sent to me are being
> returned back to the sender as un deliverable.

This is a smtp problem, kmail has nothing to do with it.

How have you set your domain's mx record to point to the postfix server
on your box?

> I have set kmail for local delivery and postfix sends and receives
> mail from my mail domain.

You mean kmail is setup to use "Sendmail" as transport for outgoing
emails?

> I have seen that there are quite a few files in
> /var/spool/postfix/defer and I suspected these are emails where
> delivery is defered.

see comment below.

> The log shows as below
>
> <rajiv at localhost.sai1>: delivery temporarily suspended: connect to
> 127.0.0.1 [127.0.0.1]: Connection refused

> What can be done to get over this problem?127.0.0.1 is my local
> domain address.
> Thanks for help in  advance,

Many sites will not accept emails directly from IP blocks that are in
RBL or appear as blocks that are assigned (dynamic as well as static)
to end users by ISPs.  Most likely, your setup falls under this
scenario if I understood you correctly.

IMO, it is not worth the hassle of doing what have in your setup.

I strongly suggest, that you sign up for an email service (most are <
USD3/month) for your domain *or* use Google small business service
(don't recall the exact name of service) to host your domain for
emails.  This would be the smtp smart host for your domain.

Then configure:

1. fetchmail to fetch your external emails from your email service
provider with postfix handling local delivery.

2. have local postfix deliver outgoing emails through above smart host.

--
Arun Khan