[PLUG] Unable to activate ethernet card in zenwalk linux

Pankaj Kumar pankaj at glug4muz.org
Sun Nov 9 21:41:03 IST 2008

Hi all,
Today I have installed zenwalk on a Pentium IV system with 128 MB RAM and Intex RTL8139D ethernet card. Now in order to configure
my ethernet card when I am using netconfig command then I am setting following values for the parameters asked:

Hostname: zenwalk
Domain: org
Network Type: Static IP Address
IP Address: 192.168.0.4
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: None
Nameserver: None

Then I am getting message that a network card using the 3c59x.o module has been detected. Then I am accepting the configuration.
Thereafter I am getting the message "Setting Accepted: Basic network configuration is complete". But after then when I am
executing the "ifconfig" command then I am not seeing the name of eth0 in the list of network devices. And I am also not able to
ping my other systems in LAN. When I am executing the ping command then I am getting the message "Network is unreachable".

So please help me by telling how to activate the device eth0 in zenwalk linux when my network card has already been detected with
the module 3c59x.o. I will remain thankful to all those of you for this forever.

Best Regards ...
Pankaj Kumar