[PLUG] Can't get past LiLO yet ... :-)

म.हा.सा.ग.र o.s.h.o at guruvision.com
Thu Nov 13 10:26:28 IST 2008

I was searching for some information about GRUB Vs. LiLO, when I
stumbled upon following...

Finally, a mind-opening quote by one of the GRUB developers Gordon
Matzigkeit, as published in O'Reilly's Essential System
Administration:
Some people like to acknowledge both the operating system and kernel
when they talk about their computers, so they might say they use
'GNU/Linux' or 'GNU/Hurd'. Other people seem to think that the kernel
is the most important part of the system, so they like to call their
GNU operating systems 'Linux systems'. I, personally, believe that
[both are] a grave injustice, because the boot loader is the most
important software of all. I used to refer to the above systems as
either 'LILO' or 'GRUB' systems. Unfortunately, nobody ever understood
what I was talking about; now I just use the word 'GNU' as a pseudonym
for GRUB. So, if you ever hear people talking about their alleged
'GNU' systems, remember that they are actually paying homage to the
best boot loader around: GRUB!

Thought it would be interesting to see what others here have to say
about this, in the light of the fact of later years!

Anyway... i also think this could be a useful link...
http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2008/01/22/lilo-and-grub-boot-loaders-made-simple.html

As usual ...

--
The man who is really serious,
with the urge to find out what truth is,

                     ~Bruce Lee