[PLUG] Fedora 9 valued at $10.8B

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Oct 26 11:06:11 IST 2008

Aditya Godbole wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 4:17 AM, Rahul Sundaram
> wrote:
>> http://www.linuxfoundation.org/publications/estimatinglinux.php
>>
>> You might want to search for "value" in there and read it entirely.
>
> I did. In all the places where they have used the word 'value', they
> mean cost.

Not so simplistically however. Besides media reports tend to expand and
interpret the report in various ways as well.

> Perhaps this is a new age economics about which I have no idea.

It is not new (theory was published in 1981). It is based on the
original work done by David Wheeler at
http://www.dwheeler.com/sloc/redhat71-v1/redhat71sloc.html.

The model used is called COCOMO

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COCOMO

The report does reference all these details btw.

Rahul