[PLUG] Cant connect to Mysql in Ubuntu 7.10

Amit Karpe amitkarpe at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 16:10:39 IST 2008

Hi Abhi,

           You can use Synaptic ( GIU Tool for Package Management ).
To start it try this
>From Menu --> System --> Administration --> Synaptic Package Manager.
To use synaptic read about it
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticHowto
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu
http://ubuntuguide.org/

If you have any problem while installing any application/package just
goolge for your question.

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 1:56 PM, abhi <abhi.elementx at gmail.com> wrote:
> hello ,
> I am new to linux and dont even know how to use a mailing list. So forgive
> me for any mistakes.
> I have installed ubuntu 7.10 gutsy gibbon and having some problems.
> ->I cant see the programming menu.

You have to install programming tools.
Then you can see.

> -> i cant play music files from windows(says codecs required). I
> have downloaded codecs on a pen drive but dont know how to install them.

search and install "ubuntu-restricted-extras" or "restricted-extras".

> ->Cannot connect to mysql (or dont know where it is like Oracle)

You have to use command line or web interface .
1.  Use "mysql" command  .
2. phpmyadmin
3. There are many GIU tool for mysql like
emma (extendable MySQL managing assistant)

For more docs
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ApacheMySQLPHP
http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialMySQL.html
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DinkelVersus/MySQLServer
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ApacheMySQLPHP
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MYSQL5FromSource

> ->cant see c/c++ , java IDEs
> and counting....

Now its your turn to do some self study .

1. Use Google
2. Read installed docs from ubuntu system
3. http://start.ubuntu.com/8.04/
4. Just play with Synaptic.

> (I don't have an internet connection...)

Download some ubuntu tutorials or presentation or free e-books .
And read it and play with system.

> Appreciate your help.....
>
> --
> ABHI ; )