[PLUG] Console switching keystrokes and X11 behavior

Mayuresh mayuresh at acm.org
Sat Sep 6 23:03:38 IST 2008

Is there any way to treat X session as if it were just another console session
as far as console switching keys are concerned?

For example one can cycle through all terminals using Alt-RightArrow. However
once one reaches X11 session it starts responding to the keys differently
annoyingly breaking the cycle - forcing you to release the keys first and
press Ctrl-Alt-Fn only to go to a specific terminal.

Also, as soon as you reach X11 session in this sequence, it X server starts
interpreting the key you pressed to reach here. For example if you reached
here by Ctrl-Alt-F7, a moment of delay in releasing the key and X will start
sending F7 keystroke to the application that got focused.

I read about ways to skip X11 from this sequence. But I need X as I need to
switch back and forth between some console and X applications. Just want it
to respond the same way terminals do as far as switching is concerned.

Any layer where X servers reserved keystrokes can be overridden etc.?

Thanks
Mayuresh.

A related question: I can avoid this problem altogether by not starting X at
all if I have a framebuffer client for a specific application I want to use.
I am looking for a dvi viewer that works with framebuffer. Read about dvifb.
Not available on Fedora. Did not succeed in compiling it either.