[PLUG] RedHat/Fedora Crisis

Sriram Narayanan sriramnrn at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 17:18:48 IST 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 4:43 PM, Rahul Sundaram
<sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

>> Yeah RHEL is a distribution driven by a public traded company called
>> Redhat.but (I think / hope ) Fedora is driven by community (not by a
>> company) like Debian....
>
> There are significant differences. Debian has a separate non-profit
> entity called SPI managing it. Fedora is funded (systems, hardware,
> bandwidth, etc) by Red Hat and Red Hat is responsible legally for it.

I agree with the above. There as always been a legal need for responsibility.

There was this recent incident with Blastwave, where one person ran
away with the domain name and was refusing to talk to anyone(or so we
thought), whereas the reality is that because of some international
level investigation plus legality involving the US and Canada, he was
legally required to keep his mouth shut. The prosecutors themselves
advised him to make all public announcements through his lawyers.

I think we've all done enough Redhat bashing, folks. The best is to
accept that sometimes, a company that has accepted legal
responsibility for a particular operation needs to keep follow the law
when it comes to legal investigations.