[PLUG] [SOLVED] stack smashing issue

null null giimale at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 22:40:12 IST 2009

On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 1:57 AM, abhi <abhi.elementx at gmail.com> wrote:

> Rejoice  !
>
> I ran the code on my m/c (fedora 10 kernel : 2.6.27.5-117, gcc version 4.3.2
> 20081105 (Red Hat 4.3.2-7) (GCC) ) and it ran like a cool breeze!
>
> null null you rock man!
> PLUG rocks!
> IRC chans suck!
> I have been pulling my hair over this for a while now.
>
> null null(i dunno ur name, mate), about this:
> >Doesn't matter what version u are using ,
>
> Well, i've read from an article from <some guy> from the "underground", that
> kernel and gcc versions DO MATTER!

By the way aleph1 was the first person who posted the stack smashing
in Phrack years back.
That was the beginning of bufferoverflow exploitation :-)

What I meant from the "versions DON'T matter" is that if you can read
assembly it DOES NOT matter what version ur compiler or linux kernel
is, you only need to locate ur eip to overwrite in your case. Yes, for
exploitation it requires a little more understanding
because of the techniques employed by new gcc and kernel like ASLR,
stack protection, non-exec section etc etc.

--
Cheers,
@