[PLUG] Ubuntu 8.10 as network installation server for PXE client

Nilesh Joshi nileshnjoshi at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 23:04:52 IST 2009

Hi,

I have ubuntu 8.10 system. I have configured this system to work as network
installation server. I would be installing Suse Enterprise 10 from this
using PXE boot. I have mounted Suse ISO image on /srv/dist.

I have configured following things as of now:
1. dhcpd server
2. tftp server
3. NFS – where I have mounted SuSE Enterprise 10 ISO image.

When I boot client system and select PXE boot, I see that IP is been offered
to the client machine in /var/log/messages. However client gives message
below:
….PXE-E18: Server Response timeout

Other info:

I do not have any entry in /etc/inet.d for tftp

test at test:~$ cat /etc/default/tftpd-hpa
#Defaults for tftpd-hpa
RUN_DAEMON="yes"
OPTIONS="-l -s /srv/tftpboot"
test at test:~$

/srv/tftpboot is owned by root:root and has 777 for these 2 directories. (I
tried nobody:root but didn't see any change so reverted back to root:root)

/etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf=>
ddns-update-style none;
default-lease-time 600;
max-lease-time 7200;
log-facility local7;
subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
  range 192.168.1.2 192.168.1.100;
  option routers 192.168.1.1;
}
host pxeinstall {
 next-server 192.168.1.1;
 filename "pxelinux.0";
}
dhcp starts without any issue.

I do not have any DNS for this setup. Also not specific domain. Once
installation is done, name will be changed and systems will be places in
other network.

Questions:
1. I have used pxelinux.0 from ubuntu machine. Is that OK? I have copied all
other files from SuSE as I want to install SuSE on remote clients.

2. I am not able to connect to the 69 port but I can download file using
tftp (using tftp-hpa):

test at test:~$ tftp -v 192.168.1.1
Connected to 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1), port 69
tftp> get pxelinux.0
getting from 192.168.1.1xelinux.0 to pxelinux.0 [netascii]
Received 14928 bytes in 0.2 seconds [715499 bit/s]
tftp> quit

test at test:~$ telnet 192.168.1.1 69
Trying 192.168.1.1...
test at test:~$

Is it expected behavior?
How can I verify that tftp is offering pxelinux.0 image to client.

What all things are wrong in this setup?

Thanks and Regards,
-Nilesh