[PLUG] VLC codec error

Owais Lone loneowais at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 22:31:42 IST 2009

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 10:21 PM, Kapil Agrawal <kapil.agl at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 9:12 PM, Dnyanraj Mali <dnyanraj.mali at gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > hi,
> >
> > I downloaded a movie tried to play it but it says i need to use Windows
> > media player.
> >
> > i am using ubuntu 9.04, movie file is .avi
> >
> > i tried to upgrade vlc but its fully upgraded.
> >
> > can anybody suggest me some solution?
> >
> > Maybe if you can give more details of the error  can help you. try using
> mplayer/totem . Also you may need the w32codecs, which you can google and
> install on ubuntu.
>

> > One more question, if i upgrade to ubuntu 9.10 online, then i will need
> > more
> > disc space for root partition. is there any solution to reduce disk space
> > by
> > deleting some unwanted files?
> >
> > last time i upgraded from 8.10 to 9.04 & some extra space was needed.
> >

> > Regards,
> > Dnyanraj
> >

> --
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/kapilagrawal

You can remove unwanted packages. You can also use an app called
computer-janitor to free up some space.
You can remove all files under /var/cache/apr/archives but mind that you'll
have to download all packages all over again. But since you  are upgrading
to 9.10, you'll have to download new ones anyway.
--
Owais Lone
http://www.owaislone.tumblr.com