[PLUG] Time to downgrade?

म.हा.सा.ग.र o.s.h.o at guruvision.com
Fri Jan 9 16:17:07 IST 2009

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 1:03 PM, म.हा.सा.ग.र <o.s.h.o at guruvision.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 12:52 PM, Pranav Peshwe <pranavpeshwe at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 7:59 PM, म.हा.सा.ग.र <o.s.h.o at guruvision.com> wrote:
>>
>>> this is an interesting post on TSC matter... and i am wondering about it
>>> now...
>>>

>> Hi,
>>    Did you try passing 'notsc' to the kernel at boot ?
>> I *guess* the problem might be that, your processor is throttling frequency
>> transparently to the kernel. Another suggestion would  be to try disabling
>> frequency scaling related modules/services.
>>

> http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/linux_kernel/kernel_configuration/re44.html
>
> this suggests that it will shot the hardware associated for TSC.
> Phylosophically speaking which one is better?  shutting down kernel
> component associated with it or the hardware component of the
> system...

Upgraded to the latest 2.6.27.7-desktop-1mnb kernel that became available ...

No more TSC unstable messages getting logged as past ... instead following...

TSC: PIT calibration confirmed by PMTIMER.
TSC: using PMTIMER calibration value
Marking TSC unstable due to TSC halts in idle

Guess it is time to move onto other points of problem identification
by elimination round..

By the way anybody having any idea of what is 1mnb2 & 2mnb2 in the
naming of kernel package?