[PLUG] Porting Ex on Linux

मयंक जैन (makuchaku) mayank.gnu at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 21:40:04 IST 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 5:39 PM, Rajiv Gore <rajiv at wsieng.com> wrote:

> I am using an accounting software Ex Next Gen by TCS. It has got a software
> dongle.
> Ex works on Windows.
> I tried to load it on Linux using Wine but the program doesnot  work as
> wine
> cannot  access the dongle .Can there be a way out?

Hi Rajiv,

This might sound like going backwards from your effort - but it *should*
work.

When I get into a situation where I really really need Windows, I use
Virtualbox <http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Screenshots> with my licensed
Windows copy. Virtualbox works exactly like VMWare but is open sourced. You
can install a full blown Windows inside Virtualbox (which is running inside
your Linux box), use your dongle and finish off the work.

No need for re-partioning/installing - and it works like a charm.
If by any cance you are using Ubuntu, please try out
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VirtualBox
Simply "sudo gem install virtualbox" should work.

Please do use your own licensed Windows copy - I, in no way - want or intend
to promote piracy.

Please do write back if you face any issues - I'd be glad to help.

A few native linux options...
GNUCash - http://www.gnucash.org/
KalCulate - http://kalculate.com/

Please do let us know how do these softwares compare against the one you are
using - someone might pick it up as a clue to maybe their next startup :)

Regards,
Mayank
Four Fractions