[PLUG] accounting software under Linux

Shridhar Daithankar ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net
Wed Jan 14 21:30:45 IST 2009

On Wednesday 14 January 2009 20:03:12 Devendra Laulkar wrote:
> I am speculating that "tally" over linux was suggested since it will
> be "one step forward" - using open source in incremental fashion
> rather than a complete switch over - Or maybe something else (still
> not getting connection with elephants)

I had a long talk with my CA friend about this. He wants to use free software
as far as possible but tally remains the de-facto leader and there is some
reason.

As far as accounting is concerned,  tally is easy to replace with. Of course,
this does not mean you can import tally data but accounting functionality of
tally is all available with other packages, may be sqledger or some such.

Main value of tally is it tracks the indian laws/regulations closely and
mirror them in implementation. In turn this makes very easy for tally users to
follow government requirements on various fronts. Things are just there to be
clicked, printed  submitted.

And that is a ongoing job and hence tally remains not-so-easily replacable for
this functionality.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
--
 Shridhar