[PLUG] ext4 fs

Chetan S cshring at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 10:38:40 IST 2009

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 5:03 PM, Shailesh Khandekar
<shailesh.khandekar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Easwar. The filters held it in the moderation queue - I got a
> mail from plug-mail-bounces to that effect. It might be because it was
> the first mail I sent to the list. It's not an issue, :)

Ahem. I had the same problem until somebody suggested that it might be
due to the html formatting via gmail
Turn it off and you'll prolly see the problem disappear.

Regarding ext4 , yeah am excited too. Their wiki has some benchmarks.
More importantly ext4 will only show some difference when you have
extents enabled.

I am also eagerly looking forward to btrfs which promises truly better
performance + features and is under development via oracle dev and
some really brainy chaps in the FS world and corporates. Infact ext4
is being viewed as an interim step
A good source on the history would be this page -
http://linuxupdate.blogspot.com/2009/01/btrfs-next-generation-file-system-for.html

Keep posting your experiences !

regards,