[PLUG] Ubuntu 8.10 GRUB problem - only shows memtest option

Ulhas Bhole bholeulhas at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 16 22:51:17 IST 2009

Hi Mandar,
I haven't followed the whole thread but if you are not keen on Windows loader to load Linux what you can do is change the boot flag. Currently you windows partion will have a boot flag active which you can change and mark your /dev/sda6 active (boot flag). you can do this by booting into Live CD/DVD and using gparted or if you are fan of commandline utility then you can use fdisk but it is bit risky there and you need to be sure about what you are doing with FDISK.

Grub anyway should have your windows entry so you can use Grub to dual boot. To be honest I tried 2-3 times in past to configure windows boot loader to load Linux but failed all the time and gave up. Change active boot partition is much easier.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Ulhas Bhole