[PLUG] named.conf forwarders ....... for .in domain

Arun Kumar Khan knura at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 17 00:38:40 IST 2009

On Friday 16 Jan 2009, Agnello George wrote:
> Hi
>
> i have a small query .... i am adding a forwarder to my named.conf to
> forward all request coming to  domain ending with .in  to 192.168.2.2
> , however  i need to  forward all request coming for  domain123.co.in
>  to 192.168.2.123
>
> this is what i have done :
>
> zone "in" IN {
> type forward;
> forward only;
> forwarders {
> 192.168.2.2 port 530;
> };
> };

What is the purpose of the above?  I have not come across anyone setting
up "local" TLD servers.

> zone "domain123.co.in" {
>   type forward;
>   forwarders {
>      192.168.2.123;
>      };
>   };
>

> however if do a # dig domain123.co.in -----------------> it still
> does'nt  forward to 192.1682.123  instead it forwards it to
> 192.1682.2

..in is a TLD whose SOA is one of the "root" servers in the 'Net.  When a
domain is not in the DNS cache, the recursive lookups will first query
the root server for .in domain (in your case 192.168.2.2).

--
Regards,
Arun Khan