[PLUG] Ubuntu 8.10 GRUB problem - only shows memtest option

Mandar Vaze mandarvaze at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 11:13:10 IST 2009

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 2:42 PM, Mandar Vaze <mandarvaze at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I have Kubuntu 8.10 LiveCD. It contains vmlinuz in casper directory.
>  Hmm, May be I'll check in casper directory.
> I did "find / -name vmlinuz* -print" but did not find anything. May be
> syntax was incorrect ?

I finally got things working.
I copied the vmlinuz from DVD, as Abhishek pointed out they were under
casper directory. I copied the files to /boot Created the links from "/"
Then tried command line options from Grub prompt. Sucessfully booted into
Ubuntu. Modified menu.lst, reboot, but not so successful. Again booted thru
cmdline option at grub prompt. Figured they were some editing errors in

As of Sunday morning, I can boot into Ubuntu 8.10 using Windows

Thanks for suggestions from everyone (Special thanks to Abhishek for
instrunctions about how to boot from grub prompt, and entries in menu.lst)