[PLUG] {PLUG} Help for Beginner

Ranjit Bhonsle ranjya at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 19:40:14 IST 2009

2009/1/20 Prabhakar Joshi <Prabhakar.Joshi at yardi.com>

> Personal use will include Internet, Music, Video and mailing and
> official use will include Linux network configuring DNS, DHCP, Print /
> File Server with security.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Prabhakar Joshi.
>
> Get Mandriva 2009 one and install it.
It has most all that a beginner would want.
Then read up on the internet.
If you want Mandriva 2009 on CD I will burn you
one.
Even e-books are available on internet...they maybe
pirated.
Once you have installed Mandriva, there is lot of
documentation in something called as manpages
usage is
$man xyz  where xyz is the command you are seeking
to find about.
Anyway empty a partition on HDD and delete it during
Linux install...make 2 partitions
1. size double your RAM with file system as SWAP ( like a pagefile under Win
)
2. / (root) remaining size of partition with file system as ext3
Install the GRUB ( bootloader) on MBR.
First install it then learn......OR
This distro will also give a Live CD i.e just boot from
CD and start using it with full functionality ( bit slow though )
This is possible with Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Knoppix etc.
Your personal use will not require knowledge as
most distros have matured quite a bit and it will be
similar to Win.
regards,
Ranjit.