[PLUG] [OT]500 Rs laptop

Devendra Laulkar devendralaulkar at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 30 19:25:32 IST 2009

Hi,

Just saw this [1] article, that we are soon going to have a 500 Rs laptop. /me wonders if it runs Linux.I have not been following any events / updates regarding the same. Moreover I was surprised to see
the following statements -
[QUOTE]
"The mission, with an 11th plan outlay of Rs 4,612 crore, is aimed at making a serious intervention in enhancing the Gross Enrolment Ratio in higher education. The mission has two major components. One, content generation through its portal 'Sakshat', and two, building connectivity along with providing access devices for institutions and learners. "
[/QUOTE]

Thats a lot of money ! Is this money literally going down the drain ? The "Sakshat" website [2] - currently doesn't seem very functional - and I am having difficulties accessing content using firefox.

Just some thoughts.

-Devendra Laulkar.

[1] http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/India/Rs_500-laptop_display_on_Feb_3/articleshow/4049914.cms
[2] http://www.sakshat.ac.in/