[PLUG] How to recover GRUB on MBR

Vaibhav Kulkarni netvaibhav at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 10:12:13 IST 2009

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 9:36 AM, Pranav Peshwe<pranavpeshwe at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think mounting is not required since, writing an MBR is not a filesystem
> dependent task. `grub-install  /dev/<boot/root partition name>` should do
> it.

Usage: grub-install [OPTION] install_device

In this case install device should be MBR (boot record of hard disk,
not of the partition). So I don't think "/dev/<boot/root partition
name>" would work.

> I would recommend a read of the howtos and documentation available related
> to grub and bootloaders. That will help you to backup and restore your
> bootloader and understand things better.

That's what he wanted to avoid and hence asked on the mailing list!
We're here to help, and not say RTFM.

Regards,
Vaibhav