[PLUG] How to recover GRUB on MBR

Pranav Peshwe pranavpeshwe at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 22:03:06 IST 2009

Hi Vaibhav,

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 10:12 AM, Vaibhav Kulkarni <netvaibhav at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 9:36 AM, Pranav Peshwe<pranavpeshwe at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I think mounting is not required since, writing an MBR is not a
> filesystem
> > dependent task. `grub-install  /dev/<boot/root partition name>` should do
> > it.
>
> Usage: grub-install [OPTION] install_device
>
> In this case install device should be MBR (boot record of hard disk,
> not of the partition). So I don't think "/dev/<boot/root partition
> name>" would work.

Ya, my bad. Got confused. When booting from a CD mounting will be required.
Also, install_device should be disk name as you have said.

> > I would recommend a read of the howtos and documentation available
> related
> > to grub and bootloaders. That will help you to backup and restore your
> > bootloader and understand things better.
>
> That's what he wanted to avoid and hence asked on the mailing list!
> We're here to help, and not say RTFM.

I agree, but not totally. We're here to help, and not *merely* say RTFM.
Saying RTFM is not at all a bad thing. IMHO, getting someone into the habit
of reading documentation/manuals is one of the best things to do and, helps
a lot in the long run. If you read my reply carefully, you'll notice that I
have only recommended him to read the docs and, not recommended him to just
go and read the docs *instead* of posting on the list.

Hope i am clear.

- P