[PLUG] Internet in Linux

Arun Tomar tomar.arun at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 12:12:12 IST 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 11:26 +0530, Suraj Swami wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to Linux. I have installed Red Hat on my system. Internet has
> stopped working on Linux operating system  which was working earlier.
hi!
suraj.

which version redhat are you using?

> My computer  is connected to LAN network which is connected to internet. I
> am able to see other computers in my network. Hence it is assured that it is
> well into the network.
do you get ip from DHCP or static ip? have you checked the gateway
settings on your machine?
> The same PC is able to connect to internet when it is in windows operating
> system. Hence this assures that there is no problem in the hard-ware.

what is the error u get? have u tried pinging to google.com?
try these commands

1. ping 4.2.2.2
2. ping www.google.com

if command 1 succeeds & 2 fails that means that your dns settings have a
problem.

if the error msg is "destination host unreachable" then your gateway
settings are the problem.