[PLUG] Ghost Images for Edubuntu

Easwar Hariharan meindian523 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 21:41:44 IST 2009

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 6:30 PM, Arun Tomar<tomar.arun at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Deepak,
>
> On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 5:28 PM, Deepak Dhanvijay <ddhanvijay1 at rediffmail.com
>> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,I have installed Edubuntu on a Dell Machine with below
>> configuration,DELL GX 150 - BLACK TOWERSPIII 933 MHZ / PIII 1.0 GHZ128 MB
>> RAM20 GB HDDCD-ROM, FDD, SOUND, LANNow I have to prepare arouond 100 Dell
>> machine with the same configuration and OS.I tried Norton Ghost, and able to
>> make the images but while deploying it I am facing one issue. It is giving
>> me Blue Dump and not getting installed. please suggent me if it
>> possible with Norton Ghost or if any other software available.Thanks in
>> Advance.Deepak DhanvijayPune
>>
>> Best Regards
>>
>> Deepak Dhanvijay
>

> I've not used norton ghost, but as an option you can try clonezilla or g4u.
> I've used g4u & it takes a hell lot of time. another fact that i think
> logically is that the hard disk create their own uuid etc & those entries
> are put in the grub & fstab etc. so i don't know whether after cloning also
> it'll work for you or not.

dd would work.I have used to copy from one HDD to another
(replacement) HDD when the first one was showing signs of (potential)
failure.Booting into the target HDD after disconnecting the source HDD
after dd worked right OOTB.Also,the bs would be better=1G or
thereabouts.

Maybe you could use a xerox kind of thing.Once you have created a copy
on one HDD,you have two identical copies.Now,you can plug two other
target HDDs and copy simultaneously,increasingly parallelizing the
effort.

Regards,
Easwar
Registered Linux user #442065