[PLUG] Question: NTFS partition recovery through Linux

Ameya Rahane ichbinfes at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 19:41:22 PDT 2009

Greetings to all!
I have a dual-boot laptop running Windows XP and Intrepid, well I had
it that way until yesterday. I formatted the whole hard drive, and
installed Ubuntu 9.04 on it, and created partitions for root (/),
/home and the remaining space as an ext4 partition for all other
files. Later on I came to know that my sister had stored some files on
the windows drive, which was previously NTFS but now is in EXT4 area.
My problem is that I need to recover the files.

I know I can do a partition table recovery from Windows, through
various softwares, and with ease. My questions is, is there any
software for Linux (preferably Debian based) that does the same job?

Cheers!
Ameya Rahane