[PLUG] OT: How many of you are programmers?

Kapil Kaisare kksm19820117 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 09:09:05 IST 2009

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 9:02 AM, Navin Kabra <navin.kabra at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I was thinking of doing a series of presentations on Javascript - and
> later
> > on, perhaps other interesting languages, at the monthly meetings of PLUG;
> > was wondering how many attendees are programmers, and/or how many would
> be
> > interested in such presentations?
> >

> Kapil,
> I am sure there will be enough enthusiasts.
> Even if there aren't enough on the PLUG mailing list, I'm sure that we can
> find people interested in Javascript and other programming languages in
> other places.
>
> Possibly, PLUG is not necessarily the right forum for this - because there
> will be PLUG people who are not interested in programming languages, and
> there will be PL people who are not interested in linux. I have been
> talking
> with a few other people about creating a Programming Languages special
> interest group. We could meet monthly and talk about different programming
> languages, language paradigms, OO vs functional vs prototype based
> programming, etc.
>
> What do you think?
>
> navin.

Navin

Good idea - but we could take this further and make it a computer
science/technology interest group encompassing a multitude of topics from
programming languages, operating systems, artificial intelligence, etc...

I'm not sure how successful such a group would be; would it be a useful idea
to start out within another group(like PLUG) and then form a separate forum
if there seem to be enough attendees?

Kaisare, Kapil Sadashiv