[PLUG] Motivating students to setup Web servers to share data

Abhijit Bhopatkar bain at devslashzero.com
Mon Mar 16 11:14:52 IST 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Abhijit Bhopatkar
<bain at devslashzero.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 1:59 PM, Mehul Ved <mehul.n.ved at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 12:03 PM, Abhijit Bhopatkar
>> <bain at devslashzero.com> wrote:
>>> It will be a good idea to try installing apache on your distro and get
>>> no-ip.com domain setup. Try these things on your pc, its should not be
>>> difficult, any problems and we are always here to help.
>>
>> The aim is to share files or a more wider aim like making them learn LAMP?
>> If just former than samba should be easy to setup under distros like
>> Ubuntu for one.
>>

> The aim is to get students interested, motivate them to use their
> computers for more than chatting,firefox and games. And hopefully do
> this by usage of linux/foss (which obviously has advantages as far as
> these aims are concerned).
>
> Hosting a website on your home computer and actually understanding
> whats happening while you do that has the |coolness factor" that can
> get them rolling.
>
> BAIN

To be extra clear, i don't think trying to get them to learn LAMP etc
is going to help, colleges already kill their appetite to learn more.
However give them something with practical advantage in life, (and it
can be just to become super duper cool guy in the college to host his
own website.) and the trigger will ignite an explosion. After all many
of the pluggies i know simply started this way, accidentally finding a
really useful tool in linux and somehow just getting addicted to the
whole saga.

BAIN

--
BAIN / अभिज़ित