[PLUG] Linux Based Proxy Firewall solution

Pranav Peshwe pranavpeshwe at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 10:07:32 IST 2009

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 9:13 AM, Kulkarni Shantanu <
linux at shantanukulkarni.org> wrote:

> * Ashutosh Adkar <ashu.adkar at gmail.com> [090319 09:09]:
> > One of my friends office has the requirement that he only wants desktops
> in
> > his office to be able to access a particular website. Access to any other
> > domain should be blocked.Is there a good Linux based solution for this?
>
> google for "squid".

Yes, squid will do. Squid is the 'apache' of proxy servers - proven and
widely used. If you want a light-weight one then, have a look at tinyproxy.
Its the 'abyss' among proxy servers :)

However, an issue in introducing a proxy server is, all the browsers for all
the users on all the machines have to be updated to use the proxy, lest some
user might get a surprise. But, this is not too much work if the deployment
is small or the users themselves are techy.

I guess, if he has a firewall setup at the gateway, then he can block
internet traffic to other websites without having to put a proxy. That will
do away the browser and proxy configuration.
Experts, kindly CMIIW...

My 2 cents.

- Pranav