[PLUG] Visual diff and patch tool

Shridhar Daithankar ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net
Sat May 23 20:15:19 IST 2009

Hi,

On Saturday 23 May 2009 19:46:21 Devendra Laulkar wrote:
> I would like to know how people manage their diff's and patches.

By hand :) and using version control makes it easier.

> Longer version :- I have got a patch from a developer for a small project
> that I work on. However, the patch is for an older version, so it does not
> get applied correctly. Also, I need to make some changes in some parts of
> the code.
>
> Any comments / suggestions appreciated.

Use first principal. Apply patch whatever hunks are rejected, apply them
manually and then make the changes.

It would take less time than to hunt for tool that would do it right.

I had a patch, 12K lines long that came out of ancient cousin of CVS, some 80
odd files patched. After some sed/cut and patch, I patched about 1200 lines by
hand. Only took couple of hours or so.

I don't know how big and bad your patch is but IME no tool handle oddball
situation in sufficiently good manner and more importantly correctly.

Or you could try patching the old version against which the patch was built
and do a forward merge with release. It should be simple enough and should get
out of most of the problems except conflicts.
--
 Shridhar