[PLUG] Information needed about joining open source projects

sankarshan sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 08:07:18 IST 2009

Hi Shashank,

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 3:19 PM, SHASHANK SALVI<shank333 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I liked to what are the requirements for anyone to join a certain open
> source project?

A willingness to learn and, an attitude to collaborate and contribute
should suffice. Producing Open Source Software
(http://producingoss.com) is a book that has a few pointers about
things you should need to know (viz. learning to use version control
systems, mailing lists etc)

> I have been studying python language and like to join some projects related
> to it to see how much did I really learn and also to know more about how a
> open source project works.
> As I have never worked on any such projects before I like to know where do
> newbies start for a project.

If you have already started tinkering with Python writing small
example/toy stuff to test yourself, you could join the Pune Python
Users' mailing list or, the BangPypers mailing list.

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<http://sankarshan.randomink.org/blog/>