[PLUG] [OT] Optionally using google calendar to also mark PLUG events?

shirish shirishag75 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 22:27:08 IST 2009

Reply in-line :-

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 16:56, Navin Kabra<navin.kabra at gmail.com> wrote:

<snipped>

Hi Navin,

> There's already a calendar for tech events in Pune at upcoming.org. See
> http://upcoming.yahoo.com/group/5007/
> It has facilities for automated notifications.

Right. But it also needs that I be a yahoo user. :(

<rant>
>From my perspective, the way I see these kind of services as an
island. What I'm looking for say, subscribing to your calendar and you
perhaps to mine. Why are we still stuck in the domain thing.

The way I would have liked is to be able to subscribe to say Pune
Tech's calendar and in turn Pune Tech could subscribe to my FOSS
calendar (or public calendar or whatever I wanted to share. )  This
would have been so much nicer, easier and happier for both of us.

 Also if you make the effort of calendaring and want to credit, there
could be a small logo which is along with the event which I could
forward if & when I forward the event to somebody.

That would be cool. If somebody wants to works on it they could
probably use http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICalendar as a starter.

As always feedback is appreciated.

And its pretty doable.

> It is not just for PLUG events, but for any tech event in Pune - but it is
> free (as in speech and as in beer - i.e. anybody can add events, and anybody
> can subscribe)
>
> Is that roughly what you were suggesting?

Hope I was not hard on you.

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal